We endeavour to earn the loyalty and respect of artists, art institutions and the general public by promoting, in everything we do, a sense of excellence, originality and creativity that is universal and helps build links across cultural differences. By so doing, we are recognized and respected as one of the most energetic, credible and accessible institutions for the advancement of contemporary art in Egypt.
Our mission, first and foremost, is to cultivate the burgeoning contemporary art movement in Egypt. We do this while endeavouring to engage young Egyptian artists with more established local and international artists, all intermingling with the dynamic Fustat community. This mandate yields a broad and comprehensive artistic vision which embraces:
- Promoting the freedom of expression,
- Discovering young talented individuals who use various fields of artistic expression and introducing them to the local and international art scene,
- Encouraging largely unseen gifted local artists to exhibit their works alongside those of established regional and international artists,
- Providing local artists with opportunities for international exposure and cross-cultural exchanges,
- Providing spaces for live events (concerts, dance, open mic performances and theater productions),
- Implementing developmental programs that include workshops, discussions, films and other educational initiatives for adults and children,
- Providing art residency and workspace for artists and curators from around the world who are interested in learning about Egyptian culture,
- Educating the ordinary spectator about contemporary art by moving the art scene to unusual public spaces in the form of community events and street festivals,
- Promoting underground music and innovative art forms.
The Darb 1718 Contemporary Art and Culture Center seeks to encourage experimentation by supporting new works by emerging artists with particular attention to artistic merit, diversity of media and aesthetic traditions, along with originality of cultural influences.